Published by Dallas Morning News
Planning a family reunion? Here are five ideas to consider…
Arts & Life Travel Columnists Lynn O’Rourke Hayes
Lynn O’Rourke Hayes lohayes@FamilyTravel.com
Get the whole family together for a getaway reunion
Planning a family reunion? Here are five ideas to consider:
1. Otesaga Resort, Cooperstown, N.Y. Sports-loving families can gather in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains, in a town perhaps best-known for the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Check out the Farmer’s Museum and the Fenimore Art Museum, play golf, visit a cider mill and relax on the shores of Lake Otsego.
Stay at the Otesaga Resort Hotel where you can share stories around the pool and plan future adventures.
Contact: otesaga.com; thisiscooperstown.com
2. JW Marriott Camelback Inn Resort & Spa, Scottsdale, Ariz. Rich in history, this Sonoran Desert resort is nestled at the base of Paradise Valley’s Mummy Mountain. Stay in pueblo-style casitas, hang with the kids at the Jackrabbit Pool complex or hike in the nearby mountain preserve.
Spa lovers shouldn’t miss the opportunity to revive their spirits in the 32,000-square-foot spa, where indigenous plants and minerals are utilized to enhance your well-being. Plan a family golf outing on the new Ambiente course.
Contact: camelbackspa.com; camelbackinn.com
3. Rainbow Trout Ranch, Antonito, Colo. Fly-fish on a private stretch of the Conejos River, hike in the San Juans and relax around an evening campfire. Saddle up as a clan and enjoy a relaxing amble through the pines, watch the youngsters make new friends in the kid’s camp or float through nearby whitewater.
Stay in two- and three-bedroom cabins, where front porches provide stunning views and an ideal place to gather.
4. Stonewater Cove Resort, Shell Knob, Mo. Who knows how to water-ski? Or wakeboard? Who wants to learn?
Gather your gang on Table Rock Lake and learn a new sport. Your home base is a resort surrounded by 500 forested foothills and ideal for an active clan eager to kayak, hike, bike, zip-line and check out the spa before relaxing over board games in the lounge or in the hot tub overlooking the pristine lake.
5. South Seas Island Resort, Captiva Island, Fla. Choose from hotel rooms, cottages and villas within 330 seaside acres when you reunite on this former Key lime plantation.
Engage in water sports, mangrove exploration, tennis, golf and bike riding. Later, gather for sunset seashell collecting on the 2-mile white sandy beach.
Lynn O’Rourke Hayes is the editor of familytravel.com.
(Lynn O’Rourke Hayes is the editor of FamilyTravel.com. Email her at lohayes@FamilyTravel.com.)
©2015 The Dallas Morning News
Visit The Dallas Morning News at www.miamiherald.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.
(Article republished as “Family Travel Five: Get the whole family together for a getaway reunion” on July 27, 2015 by Oklahoman Online